Stanford University Press is hiring a Marketing / Publicity Assistant in our Redwood City, CA office. The primary duties include helping to secure media coverage by sending books to the media and submitting our titles for awards. This position, which reports to the Marketing Manager, is ideal for an early-career individual with a strong interest in both book publishing and marketing/publicity. The role will be remote until it is safe to return to our offices. Please include a cover letter with your resume.
- Coordinate and communicate with internal and external stakeholders on marketing / publicity efforts including sending out books to the media and submitting our books for awards.
- Answer emails and phones and serve as a resource on unit procedures and general inquiries from authors or vendors.
- Disseminate routine communications such as memos, notices, emails, and letters.
- Perform office duties including, but not limited to, handling of incoming and outgoing mail, entering data into basic tables, reports, database, or spreadsheets, and making copies.
- Ability to prioritize and handle numerous tasks.
* Other duties may also be assigned
For more information and to apply, click here.
Book Production Assistant
Stanford University Press is looking for a Book Production Assistant to support the planning and execution of the print production process. This position is initially remote until we can safely return to our offices in Redwood City, CA.
- Coordinate reprints process.
- Evaluate and convert image files for print production.
- Communicate with press staff both verbally and in writing regarding updates and modifications.
- Take responsibility for the manufacturing and prepress with both internal press and outside vendors.
- Maintain schedules, create a variety of purchase orders, and fully coordinate the final manufacturing phase of the production process through to fulfillment of deliverables to the warehouse.
- Provide administrative support for the department.
Minimum Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Knowledge of current and traditional book manufacturing processes, terminology, and software: Acrobat, Photoshop, InDesign.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Proficiency with current office technology: Word, Excel, Filemaker.
Other Relevant Knowledge, Skills and Abilities May Include:
- Experience with Acrobat, Photoshop, and InDesign
- Two years’ experience in publishing and/or related degree is preferred.
- Book publishing experience would be ideal.
For more information and to apply to the position, click here.
Sales and Marketing Assistant
Stanford University Press is seeking an enthusiastic Sales and Marketing assistant with a love of smart books. This entry-level position is perfect for a book lover looking to get into publishing, or an early-career person wanting to gain experience with a wide variety of sales and marketing activities. This position reports to the Sales and Exhibits Manager. This position will initially be remote, then work from the SUP office in Redwood City when on-site work becomes possible. Please include a cover letter expressing your interest in SUP and publishing.
- Assist in the creation of sales materials for new and forthcoming books
- Serve as a liaison with bookstores and private customers
- Work with authors with events and special sales
- helping to organize exhibits for academic conferences online and across the country
- Occasionally travel to academic conferences or book festivals
- Create marketing flyers using Adobe InDesign
- Answer phones and email to serve as a resource on general inquiries
- A demonstrated interest in publishing and a passion for books.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills.
- Basic computer skills and demonstrated experience with office and database software and email applications.
- Ability to follow through and complete assigned tasks.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
To apply please submit a resume, cover letter and application form here.