Table of Contents for Performing the Visual
Introduction. The Sketch: Historical, Thematic, and Stylistic Issues
1. The Economics of Buddhist Art: Compensation and Organization
2. The Cognitive Practices of the Wall Painter
3. The Influence of the Dunhuang Sketches: Fenben and Monochrome Drawing
4. Banners and Ritual-Practice Diagrams: Two Additional Types of Sketches
5. Performance: Orality and Visuality
6. Sketching, Performance, and Spontaneity in Tang China
Appendix I: Ground Plans and Elevations of Fifteen Cave-temples with The Magic Competition, 862-980 C.E.
Appendix 2: Location of Common Compositions in Grottoes, 862-980 C.E.
Table A: Measurements of The Magic Competition Murals and Sketches
Table B: Measurements of Raudraksha and Sariputra in The Magic Competition
Table C: Height of Subsidiary Figures Depicted Near Raudraksha’s Dais in The Magic Competition
Appendix 4: Sets of Near-Identical Banners
Index of Paintings and Manuscripts Cited